Wednesday 27 July 2022

Homily for Thursday Seventeenth Week in Ordinary Time Year C, 28th July, 2022

 Readings: Jer.18:1-6, P 146, Matt 13:37-53

Rev. Fr. Emmanuel Emenike Onyia.


GOD IS OUR POTTER WE ARE NOTHING BUT A RAW CLAY HOPING TO BE MOULDED INTO A HEAVENLY VESSEL


A story was told of a beautiful clay pot used to decorate a garden. The clay pot was the point of attraction to all including it’s fellow ordinary clay. So one day the ordinary clay approached the beautiful clay pot and said, we have no doubt that you are clay just like us. But how come you have become so beautiful and special that everyone admires you? The clay pot smiles and said: there was a time when I was nothing but a dumb lump of red clay. Then one day a Potter came with a digger and a hoe, dung me out of the dumb lump and painfully separated me from my fellow clay and brought me to his house I cried out but he ignored me. 


He rolled and pounded me on a wooden table several times without mercy. I cried out, don’t do that! Leave me alone!’ But the Potter suddenly placed me on a spinning wheel and suddenly spun around and around and around until I lost all consciousness. Just when I thought it was over, he placed me carefully into an oven which is hotter than the hell fire. 


Why me! I cried out in anguish! But the potter only smiled and gently said: because you are special! I struggled, I yelled, knocked and broke several times, but the Potter was patient and meticulous in ensuring that I adjusted to his will. Realizing that I cannot win, I surrender completely to the will of the Potter and he only nodded in understanding and quietly said: “is not over yet! 


Then he pulled me out of the oven, when the heat became cooled he carefully picked me up, dust away some dirt and behold I was totally transformed, looking so beautiful and special. And the potter smiled and said:  this is what you are meant to be. For God has made you into a special vessel for special purpose. 


This story reflect what prophet Jeremiah is telling us in our first reading today that God is the Potter and we are the clay. Though God has created humanity as beautiful clay in his hands to be molded into a beautiful and special vessel for heavenly kingdom. But humanity have sinned and rebelled again God and his plan for us. Unless we repent and turn away from our sinful ways we will all perish. 


Hence we are called to repentance for there will be a day of judgement of which Jesus in our Gospel passage, used a parable to describe that the kingdom of heaven will be like a dragnet cast into the sea that brings in fish of all kinds. When it is full, the fishermen haul it ashore; then, sitting down, they collect the good ones in a basket and throw away those that are no use. Here Jesus is telling us that the kingdom is open for all but not all can be suitable to dwell in it, only those who on the judgement day are found suitable can be admitted into the kingdom.


Dear friends, God is our potter, we are nothing but raw clay hoping to be moulded into heavenly vessels. So, all God required from us is for us to let him mould us into the heavenly vessels that he planned for humanity. No doubt that sin has destroy our original nature, but just like when the pot a potter was shaping spoils in his hands and he forms it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him. So will God re-mould us into a new vessel for his heavenly kingdom if we repent from our pride and sinful ways of life.


PRAYER: Heavenly Father, sin and pride has separated humanity from your plans for us, today we come to you like a clay in a dump lump, be our Potter once again and re-mould us into that heavenly vessels which you planned for us. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen. God bless you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Homily For Wednesday Sixth Week of Eastertide Year B, 8th May 2024

  Readings: Acts 17:15.22-18:1; Ps.148;  John 16:12-15 Fr. Emmanuel Emenike   Onyia.   ARE YOU IGNORANCE OF GOD? LET THE HOLY SPIRIT LEAD YO...